Frequently Asked Questions
What sort of projects are you interested in?
We are interested in projects in theology and philosophy of religion that intersect with questions about scientific explanation. We hope that potential participants will, in their project description, explain why they think a deeper understanding of scientific explanation will enhance their project. Some examples of potential questions are:
- Are theological explanations causal or non-causal? (Or is some particular theological explanation causal or non-causal?)
- Do multilevel explanations (which integrate more than one scientific theory) offer a path for integrating multiple levels of explanation in theology (e.g. reconciling human and divine action)?
- Are theological models like scientific models? Can scientific models offer a template for new models in theology?
This school will also be useful for those who desire to engage with particular scientific findings in their research. We welcome projects that seek to understand particular scientific explanations or how explanations work in a particular scientific context.
Who can apply?
- The seminar is aimed at early to mid-career theologians and philosophers of religion with a current institutional affiliation. Preference will be given to applicants with a Ph.D, but advanced graduate students will be considered.
- For the in-person sessions, we are limiting participation to those located within the region. For the Durham session we define “region” as within the UK. For the Baltimore school, we define “region” as within 300 miles of Baltimore.
Why a hybrid-regional model?
Holding smaller, regional sessions rather than one large session increases the likeliness of meeting in-person. Limiting the size of each session also allows us fluidity in planning and the ability to adapt to a changing situation. By offering both in-person and virtual options, we hope to accommodate the differing preferences and needs of potential participants.
What if conditions next summer don’t allow for meeting in-person?
We will move all synchronous portions of the school online.
What precautions are being taken in light of COVID-19?
We have limited the size of the in-person meetings to comply with recommendations for stopping the spread. We will also implement whatever the best recommendations are for distancing, etc., when the schools are held.
What is Included?
Lodging and meals during the synchronous sessions will be covered. In addition, participants will receive $4,000.00 upon completion of the synchronous portion of the seminar. Opportunities for additional funding will follow the seminar.
How will virtual sessions be scheduled?
All virtual seminars will be scheduled using MST (Mountain Standard Time).
Can I attend the summer seminar multiple years?
Unfortunately, participants are only allowed to attend one seminar.